Wednesday, March 13

Some things I have noticed...

So when I told various people that I was going to study abroad, I usually received similar questions. I was asked, "Where are you going to study," and "What classes are you going to take there," and "Do you speak German," fairly frequently so I became accustomed to answering them. One question, "Why do you want to study abroad," was also asked a few times. The obvious answers of traveling, learning a new language, a new culture, and why the heck not were usually accepted by the audience. Now that I have been in Europe three weeks (yikes!) I am starting to see those answers come true. I am beginning to have a basic handle on the German language (pronounce EVERY letter written in front of you), have already begun planning my travel excursions (first up: Freiburg (The Black Forest), Germany!), and have figured out that why the heck not is turning out to be one of my greatest life decisions. While all those things are wonderful and amazing, I wanted to take a post to point out some of the culture shock that has definitely occurred while being here. Everyone warned us exchange students that it (culture shock) would happen, but until it is experienced it is not a tangible feeling.
Some first impression cultural differences are:
  • Most people here are AT LEAST bi-lingual. Not only are the people, but the signs, menus, and information is all in both German and English. I have never felt more embarrassed to be an American stereotype than while in my German course. Out of the entire class, us three Americans were the only ones who only spoke one language. Definitely makes me wonder why our school systems don't start language classes earlier...
  • There is no such thing as a line. Yeah- we Americans stand in line at the check out counter as Germans sneak their way in before us constantly. We thought we were being polite, giving people some space to check out, but apparently that is not how it is done here.
  • Walking down the street is like playing a game of chicken. No one moves out of the way for each other. At first I was always getting out of peoples way zig zagging across the street until I realized I was the only one going out of my way to move. Now I walk down the street stubbornly refusing to move out of others paths, just as the Germans do.
  • Sweatpants in public are just not a thing. It just isn't done, and this breaks my heart a little bit.
  • Bright colors also are not a thing. Black, grey, tan, navy, and white are the only 'in' colors I have seen. Even clothing store windows rarely display colorful mannequins. It is strange, and does not fit my complexion at all!
  • Being eco friendly and green is not something to boast about, because it is something that is just done. Reusable bags are the only option at grocery stores, or else you get dirty looks and are half a euro poorer. 
  • Continuing the eco-friendly trend- THE TOILETS. Every toilet must be self stopped. You press the button once to start water flowing, and a second time to stop the water flowing. The first time I did it- I must have let about 6 gallons of water go through (I mean liters... metric system still hasn't fully sunk in yet!) before I realized it was my responsibility to stop the flow. 
  • There is only tough love- no sugar coating whatsoever. Our professor in German class is definitely not afraid to offend or embarrass anyone in class. It is not considered rude here, just their method of teaching and communicating.
  • THE BUSES. Holy moly. They have a set schedule that they actually stick to. IT IS NEVER LATE. It is actually quite impressive. Their schedule is so rigid that I saw a bus approaching, began to run for it, and as I approached the bus to open the door (yeah, you also have to press a button to open the bus doors- it is a little weird) it drove away. It was quite a sad moment, but luckily, exactly ten minutes later another one showed up, and this time I was ready for it!
  • Last one: YOGA. I really do not even know where to begin on this one, but it was the strangest yoga experience I have ever had. The instructor was unable to actually do most of the moves, had a ponytail comb-over with a missed bald spot on the top of his head, and talked about 90% of the class. He also timed each move with a stopwatch that would beep (totally disrupting the peace and serenity!) when we were finished. The room was freezing, there was no soothing music, and I think it actually made me more tense and stressed than I was before the class. Needless to say I will probably be avoiding the gym classes here... seriously missing Umass group fitness right about now!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Really interesting insights and your experiences would be quite different depending on what country you studied/moved to or even region within a country or region within a country you moved to. I bet friends studying in Spain or France or Italy or Brazil or South Africa have noticed totally different things.
    On speaking multiple languages thing... I think it partially has to do with geographical isolation and probably the most to do with English being the dominant language because I would note that the English and the Australian's don't speak many other languages either. Also if you travel around a bit you notice that English is often the second language learned particularly for tourism but also for science and other disciplines. Overall it has made us (English speakers) complacent and lazy about learning other languages and too often intolerant when others don't speak our language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- I understand that it is easy to get by without learning another language, it is just frustrating to know that my opportune window for learning passed without my knowledge or ability to fix it.

      Delete