Tuesday, March 26

MM CAME TO VISIT!!!!

This week was a very special treat! It was UMASS spring break week, and SOMEONE VERY SPECIAL showed up in Germany for a week! Grabbing a beer with him in Heidelberg was surreal and amazing! Even though he brought with him the rain, Heidelberg still showed us a good Sunday night with a 5 Liter keg and a traditional German dinner out.
Self service Keg at our table!
On Tuesday of last week, I decided to head to Mannheim, where MM was staying. Ever since coming to Germany, all I have heard is that Mannheim is an unattractive industrial city. No one has ever said anything remotely nice about its atmosphere, looks- nothing. So when I was on the Strassenbahn to Mannheim, I definitely had lower than low expectations. Because of this, Mannheim totally surprised me and I really enjoyed my afternoon there! It definitely was more of a modern city than Heidelberg, but it had character and beautiful pieces scattered throughout. I really enjoyed Mannheim, ESPECIALLY the prices of food! Everything was much cheaper than in touristy Heidelberg. Mannheim also has more of a nightlife than Heidelberg, with clubs and bars full every night of the week. I still think I chose correctly with living in Heidelberg though :) After seeing a few other surrounding towns in Germany- Heidelberg keeps coming out on top of my list! It's a good thing too- since I am 'stuck' here til July. Oh darn...!
So happy I got to see M while he was here traveling for his first time outside the US! I hope you had fun!

Mannheim Castle/Palace- Rebuilt after destruction in WW2



Intricate alter in the Cathedral


The water tower

Precious!


German playgrounds... yet again proving how fun they are!

View from the walking Bridge near the Park



No comments:

Post a Comment