Wednesday, June 26

Proud to be American

There are many times abroad where I have doubted my pride in my home country. There have been many times I have said, "wow, I wish I could live here," or, "I do not want to go home." Not only have I personally found Europe to be a better place to live, but I have also been given some odd remarks when people ask where I am from. The conversations turn from pleasant to stand off-ish once they learn that small fact. Are we as Americans really that hated? Living here for a couple of months has definitely left me with more sour responses than positive ones. Even friends will tell, not ask, me that the American stereotypes are true. You would be surprised by the number of times I got, "no, you definitely eat burgers for dinner every day." While I DO still wish I could live here permanently and DONT really want to return home (except to see family! and friends!), something happened today that makes me unashamed to call myself American.

On days like today, I am proud to be from America and cannot wait to return home.
There are times when I have wished people wouldn't ask me where I am from, but today I would tell them proudly. Today DOMA, Prop 8, and SB5 were all turned down. A great step America :)
Signed,
Proud from Germany

1 comment:

  1. I have found that many Europeans not only have negative stereotypes of Americans but also each other. I have heard from Europeans that the German's have no humor, that France is fantastic if not for French people, that Italians are lazy, the Dutch have no culture, the British have terrible food and are sour etc etc. Here in the US we focus more on different regions in the US (stereotypes abound of southerners, Northeasterners, people from any number of cities such as NY, LA) or our neighbors (Mexico, Canada). For good and ill our media (TV, Music etc) is broadcast throughout the world to a greater extent than any other and sometimes it is the worst shows that are popular both here and abroad. Yet audiences both in the US and abroad find watching personal train wrecks interesting and support it through viewership.

    Great news about DOMA and Prop 8. I think the results of SB5 are short lived and it will be passed sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete